Ozone layer is a delicate layer of gas which shields the Earth from the harmful rays of the sun. Health Effects of Ozone Depletion is mainly caused by human activity and human-made chemicals. Ozone is made up of three atoms of oxygen. It is highly reactive gas that is Ozone layer is resent in Earth`s atmosphere 15-35 km above Earth.
Our natural surroundings are polluted due to our adversely lifestyle. Ozone depletion also impacts the environment adversely by altering the life cycles of plants and disrupting the food chain. Depletion of ozone layer may result in change in wind pattern, leading global warming hence resulting in climatic changes all over the world.
Health Effects of Ozone Depletion
- Make it more difficult to breathe deeply and vigorously.
- It causes skin cancer.
- Cause shortness of breath, and pain when taking a deep breath.
- Cause coughing and sore or scratchy throat.
- Over-exposure to UV radiation affects or damages immune system.
- Cataracts. It accounts for the major causes of blindness in the world.
- Inflame and damage the airways.
- Aggravate lung diseases such as asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.
- Increase the frequency of asthma attacks.
- UV rays also speeds up the aging of skin.
- Make the lungs more susceptible to infection.
- Cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Avoid unhealthy Ozone exposure
You can reduce the time you spend on outdoor activities. Plan outdoor activities, when ozone levels are lower; morning or evening.
Other Potential Damage Caused by Ozone
Environmental- Ozone causes more damage to plants; chlorosis, a condition in which the plant cannot produce sufficient chlorophyll to manufacture carbohydrates, necrosis, or the premature death of living cells, which may lead to the death of the plant.
Building Structural Materials- such as carpets, especially synthetic carpets;carpet padding;foam cushions;other plastic furnishings and furniture covers; rubber pads and padding; electrical wiring.
- Avoid consumption of gases , Due to their dangerous content; gases which produce CFCs chlorofluorocarbons, halogenated hydrocarbon, methyl bromide and nitrous oxide.
- Minimize the use of cars, The best transport option is urban, bicycle or walking. If you use a car to a destination, try to carpool with others to decrease the use of cars in order to pollute less and save.
- Don’t use cleaning products that are harmful to the environment, Many cleaning products contain solvents and substances corrosive, but you can replace these dangerous substances with non-toxic products such as vinegar or bicarbonate.
- Buy local products, In this way, you not only get fresh products but you avoid consuming food that has traveled long distances.
- Maintain air conditioners, Air conditioners as their malfunctions cause CFC to escape into the atmosphere.
- Avoid burning, leaves, trash and other materials.
- Recycling, is one of the easiest ways to save the planet. Sort at least your dry and organic garbage and send it for recycling.
- Buy Eco-friendly products, usage of organic products without the use of pesticide.
Therefore by avoiding products and practices that damage the ozone layer and by lobbying for more action from government and industries, you can help to close the hole by the end of this century.