Onions are one of the most consumed vegetables in the country but do you know they can help in hair growth? Onions help in strengthening the hair follicles, prevent hair fall and hair thinning among other hair problems. Onion juice consists of sulfur, which is found in amino acids of protein cells as well. Protein, especially Keratin, is the main component of hair.
Onions promote collagen production, which is responsible for skin and hair rejuvenation, boosts blood circulation and helps in maintaining the overall health of hair follicles.
Regular use of onion hair oil is touted to provide intense nourishment to the scalp, stimulate hair growth, strengthen hair roots and reduce hair loss. Along with other botanical extracts and vitamins, it also helps fight frizz by providing a smoothening effect and in boosting natural radiance.
How to prepare onion hair oil?
- Take 1/4 cup of small onions also called as shallots and peel the outer brown skin.
- Take the peeled onions in a mortar and pestle and pound coarsely. Pounding helps onions release it’s essence into the oil faster.
- Take the pounded onions and 1 cup of unrefined sesame oil in an iron pan and start heating.
- Once we start heating small bubbles will start appearing. Continue heating making sure to stir once in a while. As the heat increases the bubbling and spluttering also will increase and will reach it’s peak.
- Continue heating and slowly the bubbles and the spluttering will start reducing indicating that the water content in the onions have fully evaporated. Make sure not to burn the onions.
- Once the spluttering sound stops, switch off, cool and strain. Weekly once, warm the oil and massage it all over the scalp. Wait for an hour to let the onion hair oil soak into the scalp and wash it off using a mild shampoo.