Paraffin is a mineral wax derived from petroleum. Paraffin wax has a low melting point, meaning it melts very quickly at low temperatures, allowing one to apply the wax easily without burning oneself. Paraffin treatment is very useful for people who suffer from rheumatism and sprains as it is one of the best methods to apply deep heat to the affected area.
Paraffin wax therapy is also becoming very popular in treating sprains that are caused by sports. This treatment does not have any harsh chemicals and leaves the area soft and smooth as paraffin also treats dry skin. The list of conditions that this paraffin wax hot therapy is used as a treatment is quite long.
It used as a treatment in conditions such as arthritis, eczema, psoriasis, scar tissue, stiff joints, muscle sprains etc. To make this treatment, measure out the coconut oil and paraffin wax in a double boiler. You can also melt it in a wax heater. The paraffin wax melts very soon, once it melts, apply the wax on the affected area.
Make sure to apply it fast, as it solidifies into a thick white coating fast. You can reheat and apply 2 to 3 layers of coating and cover it with warm thick towel / aluminum foil and wait for it to cool before washing the area.
Please be careful when melting the wax and remove it immediately from double boiler, once the wax melts. People who are suffering from rheumatism will greatly benefit from paraffin wax treatment, but make sure to apply 3 to 4 coatings. This treatment also works beautifully for treating cracked feet.
How to do Paraffin Treatment at Home ?
- Paraffin wax: 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
- Measure out the pellets of paraffin wax and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Melt the paraffin wax and coconut oil over a double boiler.
- Once the wax melts completely. Remove. You will find that it melts very quickly.
- Apply it over the affected area. It will set into a thick coating. Melt the wax again and apply 2 to 3 coatings more. Cover the area with aluminum foil and press the foil on the wax so it sticks to it.
When you remove the foil, the wax easily comes off along with the foil. You can also cover the foil with thick turkey towels to maintain the heat longer.
- Check the temperature of the wax before applying it over the affected area.
- You can use any oil you prefer.
- Please keep children out of your way, when handling wax.
- You can also use this paraffin treatment to treat cracked heels too.