Hair is one of the most important features for any and every girl out there. If your hair looks good, you can carry any and every outfit with ease and confidence.
Here are some hair care tips along with dos and don’ts to make your hair care routine even more power-packed.
The following hair care steps to wash your hair the right way and stop damaging your lovely locks will help you a long way in taking care of your hair.
Step 1: Oil Your Hair First
Oiling before wash helps in forming a protective shield around your hair. It helps in reducing the wear and tear that happens during hair wash. This protective oil shield adds shine, moisture, helps prevent split ends and breakage. Coconut oil and olive oil have the potential to reduce protein loss in both undamaged and damaged hair.
Gently oil your hair largely at the scalp and leave it for 2 to 3 hours before hair wash. It is very important to include a basic pre-shampooing treatment to your hair wash routine. Also massaging your head and scalp with oils help open up pores and rejuvenates your mood.
Dos of Oiling:
- Let the oil flow at the roots
- Pour oil at the roots and gently massage from scalp to the top
Don’ts of Oiling:
- Don’t just oil at the tip or middle of the hair
- Don’t massage too hard and for long
Step 2: Start with a Gentle Rinse
Hair rinsing is also an essential part in steps to wash your hair the right way. Rinsing your hair with gushing water opens up the cuticles, softens hair tangles, and removes dirt. Rinsing with lukewarm water is even better as it helps remove extra oil from the scalp and washes off the dry scalp skin making it ready to receive shampoo’s nutrition. Be careful. A big no to hot water at the rinsing stage. It can wipe out all your hair’s natural oils, leaving it dull and dry.
Dos of Rinsing:
- Be gentle to your hair while rinsing and rub with soft hand
- Use mild hot water to rinse
Don’ts of Rinsing:
- Don’t be in any hurry to remove hair tangle
- Don’t start rubbing as soon as water gushes in, let water do its job first
Step 3: Shampoo Your Hair
Avoid applying your shampoo directly to hair; instead, dilute it with some water. (Dilute the shampoo in a small bowl otherwise water will always run out.).Selecting the right shampoo for your lovely locks may not be an easy choice to make. With hair shampoos, choose the one which suits you the best and completely compliments your hair. For example, if you have dry hair, the best way to wash your hair is using sulfate and parabens free shampoo.
Dos of Shampooing:
- Choose a shampoo according to your hairstyle
- Try sticking to one brand or at least to two brands having the same chemical formulation
- Shampoo at the scalp first then gently rub towards the tip
Don’ts of Shampooing:
- Avoid shampoo with synthetic agents
- Don’t rinse with hot water
Step 4: Condition Your Hair
Use conditioner after shampooing especially if you have a long hair. As moisturizer is to your skin, conditioner is to your hair. Conditioner helps in retaining moisture in the hair after the shampoo and most importantly, binds the hair cuticle after shampoo. Shampoo your hair then rinse with cold water, avoid rinsing hair with hot water. Completely rinse out all the shampoo from your hair and scalp. Squeeze the excess water out of your hair and then apply conditioner. Remember never to apply conditioner on your scalp, as that’ll make the roots oilier than they are supposed to be or naturally are. Make it your golden ‘Hair wash’ rule-Shampoo is for Scalp and Conditioner is for Hair.
Dos of Conditioning:
- Use conditioner after shampoo
- Rinse conditioner with cold water
- Spread conditioner all along the hair evenly and gently till the hair tip
Don’ts of Conditioning:
- Unlike shampoo there is no need to leave the conditioner for long, just make sure conditioner is spread all over the hair and it’s ready to be washed out
- No need to rub the conditioner on the scalp, scalp cleaning has been already done by shampoo
- Don’t rinse with hot water