Sunlight is the major source of Vitamin D and lack of sunlight can lead to vitamin D deficiency. The statistics say that at least one third of adults experience signs of vitamin D deficiency. It is said that only 20% of vitamin D is meant to come from our diet and 80% of the remaining is provided by the Ultra Violet – B rays from the sun. Let us see the benefits and sources of Vitamin D.

What is Vitamin D?

Vitamin D benefits and sources

Vitamin D is also known as Sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D is different from other nutrients because it also functions as a hormone, a switch that occurs when the body absorbs the vitamins. Vitamin D is one among the Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K). There are 2 forms of Vitamin D: D2 and D3.Vitamin D2,
also known asergocalciferol, comes from fortified foods, plant foods, and supplements. Vitamin D3, also known ascholecalciferol, comes from fortified foods, animal foods (fatty fish, cod liver oil, eggs, and liver), supplements, and can be made internally when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. Structurally, these two are not the same. Many believe that vitamin D should be classified as a hormone, with some calling it the forgotten neurosteroid.

Vitamin D deficiency and risk for Cardio Vascular diseases.

Vitamin D benefits and sources

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of Cardio Vascular Disease,including hypertension, heart failure and ischemic heart disease. Initial prospective studies have also demonstrated that vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of developing incident hypertension or sudden cardiac death in individuals with preexisting Cardio Vascular Disease.

Vitamin D and its effect on Depression:

Vitamin D benefits and sources

The main reason for suicidal thoughts and depression is said to be influenced by the environment, psychological health and genetic factor and numerous studies confirm that 58% of the people who committed suicide lacked Vitamin D and with an increase in the level of Vitamin D the patients began to
feel much better.

An increase in Vitamin D level also helps improve the following:

Vitamin D benefits and sources

Poor functioning of immune system
Osteoporosis and other problems with bones
Rickets in Children.
Autoimmune development and production of insulin in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetic patients.
Helps fight inflammatory immune cells.

Very few foods in nature contain vitamin D. The flesh offatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) andfish liver oils are among the best sources. Small amounts of vitamin D are found inbeef liver, cheese, andegg yolks and please remember only 20% of Vitamin D is provided by the diet we have and the remaining 80% is provided by the Ultraviolet B rays from the Sunlight and hence exposing our body to the Sunlight is really important to increase Vitamin D in our body and prevent risk caused by Vitamin D deficiency.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here