Toothpick, stick, pencil, what else you have been compared with? Just like being overweight is considered unhealthy, being underweight is also not good for your health as it may lead to a weak immune system, not having the tendency to retain much energy, slender muscles, etc. The major cause of being underweight might be due to drug addiction, not maintaining a proper diet, genes, poverty, etc.
Being skinny is always compared to being healthy. When someone says “I want to be skinny” it annoys me so much, all skinny girls are not happy with their body either, It’s about being in the healthy weight for your height.
In this quarantine, most people worry about gaining weight, but for some, that is all they wish for. Take this opportunity, and try to follow at least a few steps mentioned in this article for quarantine weight gain.
Symptoms of Being Underweight
- Your energy levels may always be low.
- You always feel tired. Even after a good night’s sleep, you may want to sleep again.
- You may experience severe hair loss.
- You have dry skin and scalp.
- You get sick often
These are some symptoms of being underweight. If you are experiencing any of these, check your BMI first, and then visit your doctor accordingly.
BMI or Body Mass Index, a measure of body fat based on one’s height and weight. Your BMI depends on several factors such as age, gender, height, and weight. If your BMI is below 18.5 you are considered underweight, between 18.5 and 24.9 normal, between 25 and 29.9 overweight, 30 or above obese.
What Happens If You Are Underweight?
- If you are underweight it might lead to irregular periods
- It might also lead to infertility because your body might not have enough nutrients that are needed for the baby to form.
- If you are underweight and pregnant, there are many risk factors involved as your body might not have the strength to bear the baby.
- You might get infected or sick easily.
- Your wounds might take a longer time to heal.
- You cannot dress the way you want, because most of the dresses would be ill-fitting.
4 Super Foods For Quarantine Weight Gain
You can follow these three simple methods to do quarantine weight gain.
The food you consume plays a major role in your weight gain, the main trick is to take high-calorie food frequently. This will help you gain weight drastically.
Milk is usually rich in calories so the higher the number of calories you take, the higher your chances of weight gain. An 8 oz glass of milk can help you gain about 120 calories. Milk is also rich in proteins, so if you want to build your muscles, there is no better way than drinking milk. It is a great way to include protein in your diet. Especially, when working out. A glass of milk before and after working out adds protein to your bones and tones them as you exercise. They are also rich in carbs, fats, and calcium, which is known to strengthen the muscles. They have whey and casein, a combination that is known for weight gain. Usually, the right time to consume milk is before you go to bed as it is tougher for the body to burn calories at night.
Another great way to gain weight is by improving your muscle mass, this will increase your overall body weight as well as make you stronger. Red meat is rich in nutrients such as leucine and creatine, best known to boost muscle mass. They are also rich in proteins, iron, and fat, which can majorly improve your weight.
Taking rice is a great way to gain weight. Just 1 cup of cooked rice contains about 190 calories. Rice also can help store the fat you have taken and it ultimately leads to weight gain. Apart from weight gain, it can also improve your energy levels effectively as they have about 80 to 90 percent of carbohydrates.
You can also opt for brown rice instead of white rice as it is rich in proteins and fibers which might also help in weight gain.
Other than these, you can also follow a few other steps that help you gain weight.
- Exercise is one of the best ways to gain weight. Just like it helps in losing weight, there are also some exercises for weight gain including squats, pull-ups, bar dips, and deadlifts.
- You can have delicious milkshakes and juices such as goji berry milkshake, banana milkshake, almond milk, and apple juice.
- You need good quality sleep as well as naps in the afternoon every day.
- Do not drink water before your meal as it may fill your stomach and you eat much than usual.
- Eat nuts like almonds, walnuts, groundnuts frequently.
- Whenever you eat, use a bigger plate so that you can have a little more food.
- Include more oils and fats in your food.
- Avoid taking junk foods instead, opt for high-calorie snacks that have some nutritional value.